It would be nice if Globulation 2 had...

Earth

When an area is walked over frequently, the grass should turn to earth (can be in several stages). This also adds a gameplay element:

a) Resources can only grow on grass, so no resources will grow in your frequently walked areas (like your town!)

b) Buildings can only be placed on earth, so grass has to be removed first by your workers, so it takes longer to build in a remote area than to build in your town.

Grass can grow back of course, and it grows back a lot faster when it's next to a resource (so your resource areas still function, even when crowded with workers).

There are additional benefits:
- If you add a clearing area, your workers will turn all grass into earth so resources don't overgrow.
- This adds extra variety for scenarios and maps.

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TBeholderTBeholder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So they would leave beaten tracks - speeding up routine jobs, but also easy to follow. :]

What you essentially propose is using two values for normal tiles: base type and surface, with some surface types being "alive", like grass (and maybe treating crops the same way), incompatible with some things and clearable, right?
        But this may be turned around: to add not earth, but grass, as a growth alternative to crops, clearable like crops and wood, but also walkable. BTW, this would allow to use it as a resource for something and perhaps add grazing animals (whether neutral or herded) in future.

• robartsdrobartsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer this over the paving area. Perhaps the Farming Zone i propose could ease the negative impact this would have on farming.

• SpavidSpavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cool idea, and the grass should grow in that place after 2 or 3 minutes and to be able to build on small grass, but the building would have the max hp smaller just like in dune 2000

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If paved area is to be added - I would kick out b) point. Paving area is enough. Changing this point I'd just add that you can build on grass, of course, but when you remove building (fully built) it leaves paved area with earth.
        I'd vote if I had spare ones

• usb333usb333 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is cool! but to increase its efficiency tiles can be coded to turn into the next level of "earthness" with each step over them, and turn into the next level of "grassness/fertility" with each n seconds of time without steps (of course this doesn't apply to sand tiles). I guess this will make the idea more efficient and we don't have to worry about our towns getting sieged by the wheat mania!

• migisoftmigisoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Glob: From the original post: "Buildings can only be placed on earth". Not grass. That's why I like it, it makes building outside your base a bit harder (grass has to be cleared first, which takes time).

• GlobGlob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for instance, you are being attacked, and you want to build a defense tower to stop incoming warriors. But with all the warriors going back and forth the grass has dissapeareed. Now you have to wait until the grass grows back, by which time half of your city could be destroyed.

• GlobGlob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem i see with this is that when you have lots of workers/warriors, and a strong economy. but you are trying to expand. the places for you to build on would start to disapear with all of the walking, and you would no longer be able to build there.

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to roads/paved ground?
        b) too much work for workers, bad idea
        but idea over all is nice

• jimandersonjimanderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real problem lies with the current farming system, I think. Globs shouldn't harvest the grains that pop up next to the forbidden areas, they should harvest the grain AT the forbidden areas until they drop to 1 and then let those regrow. Much more realistic.

This may work better with a new kind of area though, like a "harvesting area".

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

either tiles next to res stay gras then expansion will not be influenced by earth at all or it doesn't then we have the farming area problem.
        maybe an ever growing earth level for walked areas and decreasing when next to res would slow down overgrowth near natural routes and yes i would love to have implicit concepts that work but farming stays a problem.

• migisoftmigisoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like this idea!

@below:
        I think you kinda miss the point. The tiles directly next to a resource tile don't turn into earth, so wheat areas with a checkered pattern don't stop working. Also, you don't NEED a clearance area to get earth, it happens automatically. If many workers have to walk around a forest to find stone, an earth road will form and the forest will not expand.

• -fede-fede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"problem would really be farming areas that would come to a complete stop as soon as tiles start turning into earth"

right! If this is proposed as solution against tree overgrowth, it is also a big limit to wheat resources. Wrong concept

• he_the_greathe_the_great commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally think managing growth is important to the gameplay. You could just cover your town with "clear" but it looks bad and hard to work with. It just adds some strategy.

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like the non-explicit approach of this but see problems compared to the very similar one in http://glob2.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/40556.
        problem would really be farming areas that would come to a complete stop as soon as tiles start turning into earth (which could be acceptable at some point but making it clear to the player would be challenging.

Feedback and Knowledge Base