It would be nice if Globulation 2 had...

Paving Areas

Clearing areas don't work. To make them useful for not just keeping passages free but also improve building placement and upgrading i suggest the following:

http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/images/7/74/Paved.jpeg

turn them into paving areas.

* paving areas will get cleared if needed
* paving a square costs only time. maybe seconds
* paving areas request one worker per x unpaved squares
* paved areas can be walked on
* paved areas can be built on
* paved areas block resources
* paved areas give no speed bonus
* paved areas can be unpaved
* paved areas look discreet like in the pic (brown)
* paving areas look something like in the pic (yellow)

paving/unpaving is done with area tools and not with a 1x1 building.

With these paving areas we could modify construction and upgrading to be more realistic and handy by:

1. make the construction site into a paving area
2. when completely paved make it forbidden
3. turn it into a 0.9.3 construction site

Benefits

1. Construction would be more easy to use as it would allow to place/upgrade buildings not caring about clearable ressources what is micro management now.
2. More realistic as it would not be possible to block enemy units/ressources without actually having a glob that walks there.
3. Planned constructions would not be visible or attackable by the opponent.

138 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kieran PAdminKieran P (Admin, Globulation 2) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a serious issue to discuss: do allow to pave sand and water or no?

in my opinion, water could be pavable, but after learning how to do it at school of high level, same with sand, and it should require stone

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huh? what is the point in paving sand? resources don't grow there anyway. And if you want to be able to build on water, I would refuse...

• robartsdrobartsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that paving would be nice. It would be useful if resources could be brought in to pave sand (1 stone) and water (3 stone).

• -fede-fede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

quote:
        "* paving areas will get cleared if needed "
        When i brush a paving area it means that area get cleared? If i get it right, it is gonna be a clearing area with higher priority like clearing flag.
        I totally agree for it in the build sequence paving->forbidden->building, but i'm not sure about brush. Either clearing area or flag (probably flag) will be redundant and should be removed...
        Did i get it right?

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

myxiplx: problem with roads would be that users expect globs to use them. this would mean that the pathfinding would need some improvements in that direction. for example doubling speed on roads would be relatively easy but would also limit the range of pathfinding. now globs can find targets as far as 254 steps away. along roads with the above hack the range would be reduced to 127 steps. combined with the reduced hunger since beta3 units can thus find targets in a smaller area than their actual range. secondly the request for roads sounds to me like a request for faster growth and faster units. on the other hand faster units is like smaller maps if the map is only 5x5 seconds big ... do you want that?

blablabla ... yes i would want roads, too but i would want to reduce range at the same time. locality allows more sophisticated strategies than when all units can operate all over the map within seconds. my roads would maybe cost much and quadruple the speed at level3 and lead to a situation that globs can operate extremely fast within their domain but need travel time and forward posts with inns and hospitals to reach the enemy.

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how come you assume this? are you working on it? there would be more to it than extending the forbidden-constructionsite to clearing-forbidden-constructionsite as in an overworked population no workers would get assigned to the clearing areas. if i ever do it i will only do it with paving areas included.

• pjvandehaarpjvandehaar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1st, I assume that auto-clearing of building sites will be implemented soon.
        I see no advantage to this over simply putting in the red clear-area markers.
        I don't understand the #2 benefit. How is blocking enemies currently possible?

• myxiplxmyxiplx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this could be combined with the 'roads' idea before. You could maybe allow paving at one build level, and allow roads at the next.

Roads:
        - cannot be built upon
        - prevent resources growing
        - give a movement speed increase

Feedback and Knowledge Base