It would be nice if Globulation 2 had...

New Building: Gates

Essentially this is a building which only the owner (and his ''accepted allies'') can walk through. Takes up four spaces, and is a bit weaker than 4 wall spaces. The purpose of the gate house is to act as a simple simalicrum of a true "gate", allowing the player to wrap his entire town in a protective wall, while still being able to exit that wall.

305 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kieran PAdminKieran P (Admin, Globulation 2) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To everyone who says "just do it with the checker board pattern" This does absolutely nothing against enemy workers. nothing. They can just waltz on in, steal whatever resource they want, and go and make themselves stronger, killing you in the process.

• munkbusinessmunkbusiness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warriors already attack first things they sight, if you are just little clever in building walls this is not needed at all. Spend time on something else.

• robartsdrobartsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Between the current warrior behavior and the proposed Chicken Worker idea, the need for gates can be completely eliminated.

• Nachos_FTWNachos_FTW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was wondering when someone would request this. It's something we absolutely HAVE to add.

• Kiml42Kiml42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can get the same effect as these proposed gates if you do a checkerboard of walls, your units slip through fine, but any enemy warriors must stop to attack the walls. Enemy workers do move through unhindered, however.

• pjvandehaarpjvandehaar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enemies stealing resources should be part of the game IMO. The 2-wide gap and setting an attack point is a better option, unless the attack code is changed to first attack military units.

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in what way is it desirable to give a mean to block out hostile units easily? what changes would be necessary to make gates work? wheat grows near water and buildings don't work on water or shores. please think it through. flaws in defense can also be by design. a game that has ultimate defense mechanisms (powerful turrets) but poor attack possibilities tends to let players play alone till they have too many units and start an attack very late in the game. the way globs may harvest fruit at the enemies now is for me a perfect thing about the game. you can kill them but you cannot block them. think about it. that gives dynamics to the game. removing it by having a standard wall around fruits every time you play would be a step back.

• GlobGlob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be usefull, because enemy workers allways try to take your wheat and trees on scarse maps. adding a gate would allow them not to get your rescources, and thus disrupt your conservation of rescources.

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

flyingeagle: it is not only about acceptance. code it and if it gives deepness to the game i will not oppose.
        in the system as is, this building would simply not make any sense so there would be more to it than to invent a wall you can switch on and off. keep in mind that glob2 is about reducing micromanagement. new features should fight flaws of the game as is.

• flyingeagle413flyingeagle413 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

True! I agree with you!This would be a positively amazing new building to have.If this was accepted,I would be shouting "wooohooo!".

• Kieran PAdminKieran P (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

True. Perhaps a change to attack code then, so that it attacks offensive units within access of 3-4 tiles first (i.e. towers with that 2 wide gap) before non defensive units. The above formula would also mean large walls blocking towers would be destroyed to get to towers, and warriors will favor warriors rather than workers when attacking other players towns.

somehow i don't see in what the described situation is different to what i suggested. walls in front of your turrets will alway get attacked first even when the way to the turret is cleared. if not, that is a change against the designed behavior.

• Kieran PAdminKieran P (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

True, but if you have resources all around you, and only a one wide gap, which you block with walls, gates would be nice to have so the enemies can't get to your towers directly, but your units can still get out to get algae for example.

having talked about that several times i know this implies some difficulties concerning pathfinding for both attackers and converted units.

glob2 is designed to force warriors to engage adjacent buildings/units and that makes a 2 wide gap between turrets behave like a gate in the system as it is now.

Feedback and Knowledge Base