New Unit: Archer
I just want a ranged unit. I was thinking that they should have limited shots and then then need to run back to the archery range to refill. Also they should only be for support so a few weakness should be used. They cannot hit moving targets once they fire if the unit moves within a small amount of time they avoid getting hit. Also archers cannot shoot things right next to them.
If the point is mainly to attack over the walls and shoo away flyers, perhaps it's better to give them something like spearcaster and don't do (significant) damage to the buildings.
And/or grow specialized spitting blobs to be used as mobile turrets - low RoF, weak melee attack, low speed, but good armor and ranged attacks are free. =)
The best, of course, is to make the whole thing more readily moddable and see what emerges, as usual.
Jannis: This is known, but the point is to counter them. In late game they wipe out all meelee warrior attacks and are perfect defense. Mobile, and with AOE damage. Than it goes to who-builds-more-explorers game. Idea is to add another element to the cycle: explorer kills warrior, warrior kills archer, archer kills explorer.
I think there should be a rock-thrower, with limited ammo that can be filled with rocks.
Jannis Froese commented
It should be mentioned that there already is a ranged unit: the explorer. At level 3 it makes damage to all units (but no buildings) within a range of 3 tiles, but only every 0,64 seconds (so, on every 3rd move).
But what you are asking for is a ranged ground unit which can damage buildings, I suppose.
I got another idea for this. Archers have a bonus vs flying globs. This way you need to get some archers so that you can counter flying globs.
I think specialization in the barracks is the best idea for a ranged unit. They should retain (most of) their initial melee skills, but never improve them. Range, accuracy, and attack speed should all be improved with higher levels of training (perhaps not strength though).
Adding to my suming comment below Giszmo's idea:
On lvl 2 barracks there would appear 3rd bar to train lvl 1 warriors (not soldiers) to rock throwing warriors, they carry 3 stones with them and can throw on nice distances. They are much weaker than same level meelee warriors though.
Suming up imho good ideas:
- no archery range - archers avialible by specialisng lvl 1 warriors (maybe let's call them soldiers? as worker - working, explorer - exploring, warrior- warrioring? soldier - fighting for the country. Later already specialised soldiers - lvl1 - warriors) which can be done in barracks in the same way as choosing units to produce in swarms (it will mention only soldiers! warriors will stay warriors and archers will stay archers and will be able to train every moment, not important how bars are set! It would be like the woman becomes a man 0.o creeepy...). An unit which became an archer can't became warrior again, and lvl 2 warrior can't become an archer.
- archers can't attack units next to them,
- upgraded archers have bigger range, damage of shoot and rate of fire
- their chance to hit is = 70% - (target's speed (if it stands - 0, if it moves - moving/swimming speed)) * 2 + (archer's level (1,2,3)) * 10% (btw turrets should have similar thing... and if we add cactus thing, that upgraded turret should have much upgraded speed of fire)
- their range: 1lvl - 4, 2 lvl - 5, 3 lvl - 6 (1 more than lvl 1 turret has)
- in case of archers shoot part of their food eaten before(?), they get hungry a little more quickly than warriors, let's say 2% per shoot (3?) (and they can eat up to 150%?)
- since archers can now attack explorers, they should be littly improved: (50/75 health?), explorers should be able to go to barracks to get higher air damage (without any bars, they are only for soldiers), and get ground damage early - at the first level of school (than it would need some extra spaces... or no! - needs to be discussed).
Second possibility:possibility to improve explorers' ground damage as well as archery skills can be researched in schools by workers and these skill can be trained in barracks after researching (without any bars, bars are only for soldiers) . There'll be neither ground attackers, archers nor warriors at lvl 4. - max lvl 3 (with soldiers!)
Researchs already started can be paused and resumed even after destroying and rebuilding school(?. Or all researchs are lost if none of schools exists?)
- archers' damage should be smaller than warrior/soldier's for example lvl 1:
attack speed 10, damage 11 AND they should have some more moving speed... but this all should be deeply discussed. Imho if we add the soldier thing than soldier should have lvl 1's damage speed and damage 12/13 and warrior should be stronger - 16/15 22/18 and 28/22(21?) maybe... (speed/damage)
(current lvl 1: 12/13, 16/14, 22/15, 28/16)
- they can also shoot standing at water (if taught swimming)
- archer should have less hp than warrior(250) - 200 as worker (maybe worker should be weaken to 150)
- maybe add that every kind of fruit which it (she/he) tried adds it +1 to attack? as it attacks with the food it's eaten... it may be because they produces more acid in stomach ^^
- soldiers should save their exp - even if they are trained to archers or warriors - they use their exp to train archery - it's just moved - veterans can't stop becoming veterans :P
- barracks' trainings (or shools' researchs) can be scripted in map. (not avialible, already researched etc.)
hmmm maybe I should delete this post and post new feature request? It's kinda different...
Kokolihapihvi: warrior -> tower -> explorer -> warrior...
(Explaination: archer > tower - because lvl 1 tower will have poorer range than levelled archers - easy target. tower > archer, because higher level towers will have higher range, and with block of warriors - they'll got pwned, warrior > archer - if you have slow archers and only archers - warriors will pwn you, archer > warrior if warriors attack for example walls or are fighiting with warriors, archers will be addictional firepower :), explorers > archers - when archers are busy shooting to warriors, an explorers attack may be destructive, archers > explorers - no need to explain :))
the archers could also not refill at all xP Only getting hungry faster, so they cant fight so long as warriors do
Yes, I would like to have a ranged unit but not new buildings (archery range). One more unit bar in the swarm is enough :) And having to refill ammo is too much, in my opinion. They have to go to hospitals and inns, anyways.
I wonder how this unit fits the warrior -> tower -> explorer -> warrior triangle?
Andrés Sergio commented
totally agree ! i think that an archer can contribute to make the game more interesent. In every RTS there are ranged units, they are essencial.
About the limited ammo, is a good idea but im not totally agree with that.
PD: Im from argentina, excuse me for my poor english. This game is awesome :)
Archers are good, but I don't like the limited ammo idea. They already have to eat, and that is enough. Also, an archery range and barracks would each have a slider for percentage of lvl 1 warriors taken to be trained. They would then stay with that specialization.
Jonathan, interesting idea. I think that it should be TYPE of unit for example as you get warriors from the swarm, later, they would be able to change their specialisation (of course leave the meelee, but weak it) in level 2 of barracks and higher (in the same way of "choosing" as in swarm for workers, explorers, warriors)
I think that the archery range could work like the barracks and also as a refill place. Units could go and refill when they are not busy with other things so then the system would be the same that they would use to choose to train. So in a fight they would use all of their missiles and then use melee attacks or if they get attacked with melee then they would stop throwing things.
Admingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented
so you also would want an archery range? this would work exactly like the swarm?
how about rock throwing warriors? an "archery range"'s sole purpose would then be to supply warriors with the ranged weapon ammunition.
would archers head to a range with one shot missing? would they refill if next to a range? might get complicated to get a formula fitting in all situations.