It would be nice if Globulation 2 had...

Singularity Obelisks

We can have a new building, the singularity obelisk. It would allow any globule to instantly travel to any other obelisk. This would allow the unit to get a shorten way in some situations, for instance to go from one island to another.

This can be not-too-hardly implemented by modifiying the gradient computation system so that when it encounters an obelisk, it looks around all other obelisks belonging to this player or its allies (obelisk sharing being a question to discuss) to see if there is a lower value for its target (or higher, depending the gradient algorithm conventions).

Of course, an obelisk would be hard to build, and perhaps would consume, let say, papyrus ;-) (so that the Archwizards in it can write and cast spells to maintain singularity). We could even imagine to make the obelisks quite dangerous so that if they reserve of papyrus fall to zero singularity collapses and make a lot of damage around.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kieran PAdminKieran P (Admin, Globulation 2) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • robartsdrobartsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should there be tactical limitations such as wounded/starving can't teleport?

Also they should be fairly weak to attack, so as to require careful defense strategies.

• robartsdrobartsd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a neat idea if it can be kept rare enough. I agree that it should not cost a finite resource to use - but perhaps a finite resource to build and a renewable resource to use. I certainly agree that a map maker should be able to disallow access to it.

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh... It would create many... very many applications. Think about it... in 512 x 512 map it's pain to fight... but if you build teleport in every of your base which is near wheat like islands would have telepots and there would be gates on the front... think about situation where you have one hidden place where are many training builidings - barracks, racetracks etc. other where are maaaany inns (+ near source to fruits ^^) - best on the island with wheat and all covered with wall and turrets and many others where you have swarms... it would be essential, because on bigger maps before warrior or any unit can move from "town" to "town" for example to school it will get too hungry and go back >.< teleports would add much dynamics :)...
        Imagine it that you build in one place many swarms and one teleport and for example to sneak near enemy's wheat farm and build there gates and rapidly get and use all his resources...
        Too many teleports would be not too good sometimes... imho and probably it would be nice to reduce it - you can build 2 gates per one 3lvl school :). Of course if you loose schools they won't destroy... Gates can be used by every glob (explorer...). Time of using teleports (as using hospital) should be approximately time which takes to move 10 fields for a globule. Teleports could have 10 spaces for teleport (like hospitals have 2) Teleports can't be upgraded. They should cost a lot... or cost some special resources... but I have no idea which resources :P maybe glob's souls? ... no.
        Coding pathfinding wouldn't be such hard I think, there are already existing cool algorithms for it including teleports... (for example A*)
        I think that teleports should be possible to use by allies but only if ally allows that. It should be also possible to choose which types of units can't enter the teleport nor go out of the teleport (mostly for campaign).
        Always if any map maker doesn't want some building on the map - just disable it by scripting...
        On small maps where teleports aren't essential they usually won't be reached as rarely ground attackers are.
        If these are ever implemented I can think of new scenario... ^^.
        Now one thing: should gates be 2 ways connected to every teleport or only one way?

Ok I don't agree to the heavy boom after destroying a teleport nor paying to transport. The cost to build it should be very high - but we shouldn't pay even more after building it... and why for wood to teleport? do you need to burn it? eh...
        And actually is there magic in globulation world? (I know that explorers' attack is called magic attack but... do I know...)
        Love it!

• me.yahoo.com/a/vgbk5f8uz40ongk7ocwtiapccehjme.yahoo.com/a/vgbk5f8uz40ongk7ocwtiapccehj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it should be something rare, but that doesn't mean it should be finite. Because with papyrus, you could use it a lot in the early game and then never again when the papyrus is gone. Also, most maps don't have papyrus. If, on the other hand, you let it cost a lot of algae, wood and stone to construct, and then like 2 wood to transport 1 glob, then it would be an asset for well-teched players in the late game. I'm not sure if it would be all that useful, though.

• GlobGlob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

because it is supposed to be something rare, as in if you could use it to much the game could become really easy, having this ability, should be something that you earn

• migisoftmigisoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cool idea, with two remarks:
        1. The name... Why not just "portal"?
        2. Exploding when they run out of papyrus would require micromanagement. Also, papyrus doesn't grow back, so why not just algae or wood? Or... fruit?

this would limit the amount of times a unit could be teleported, making it a both rare and powerful structure .My solution to this is that when placing flags or buildings, there is an option allowing units working on it to travel through the obelisk, if there is one near to the worker/ warrior and an obelisk close to the target destination the unit will travel through the obelisk.

Also it could work like an inn in some ways, that each teleportation costs papyrus, cost would be higher per warriors. when the papyrus supply gets low, units cant go. Another thing that would have to be figured out is how to not allow units to randomly go through at will, because papyrus does not regenerate.

• StupidGlobuleStupidGlobule commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the the idea to use papyrus, and if i saw obelisk collapse and boooom! it would be nice. .)

Feedback and Knowledge Base