It would be nice if Globulation 2 had...

Warrior conversion in hospitals

When a warrior --or any unit actually-- is about to die, it looks for a place in a friendly hospital. I suggest that if there is no such a place, the unit should get converted and reach an enemy hospital with free slots, instead of dying. This would increase the strategic importance of hospitals, especially close to the battlefield, and may provide an alternative mechanism for conversion --no need to rush in a stupid fruit race to survive.

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ArnaudusArnaudus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@munkbusiness: conversion comes at a trade-off. I agree that hospitals are super important right now already but not for a quick massive strike. You can delay building them to when you have 20% wounded warriors. With conversion, building hospitals fast and use them to convert can be successful to counter such an early strike, but then again you have to still deal damage to convert them later.
        Lastly it could be only level 2 hospitals or hospitals could be more expensive.

• munkbusinessmunkbusiness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Hospitals are already extremely important, if people play just semi-competetive, you know that for most maps where you cannot camp easily there is war right off the bat and the hospital effectively doubles your army compared to not having hospitals. Basicly hospitals needs to be spammed very early on, and the battle is usually decided by who can manipulate warrios to attack the opponents hospitals. Conversion with hospitals just seems like it will promote turtling since you don't wanna battle near opponents hospitals.

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That was off topic for inns, possibly also hospitals. Idea was to make hospitals more vital and expensive and more capacitive, so it wouldn't be such a microing.

Right, I afflliated this thought reading comments.

The idea that only upgraded hospitals convert in a significant way seems to be fine.

• giszmoAdmingiszmo (Admin, Globulation 2) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So if you are worried that such a conversion would be too powerful on the one hand, how can you claim to get a micro managing tool to hide some hospitals in addition to that?

Uhm definitely not only warriors but that's in the suggestion already. Read the text.

• zenfurzenfur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gisz: about not allowing show hospitals in tab: there is show vision one ;)
        Btw, you know? Showing ALL inns is quite desperatic matter, I wouldn't want my enemy to see my inns, so maybe make it possible to select which ones are to be shown?

Yeah, undoubtly pre-game is required. This is a complicated matter, hospitals would be too essential (maybe increase its health/defense and cost? or some other balances to increase durability). What about converting other wounded and bored units in hospitals?

If there were for example illnesses/plagues to cause, the hospitals would become even more essential..

ok i agree that it might be overpowered. even now forgetting to build hospitals is one crucial event to lose a game.
        an option would be to have conversion for higher level of hospitals, only, but that would not fit into my concept of it being a diplomatic offer to hostile warriors.
        other option would be to have no way to switch hospitals visible so it would only help the defender with the enemy in town (or the clever player who has fV on with inns surrounded by hospitals). hmm ...

I agree we should think about it but I still like the idea and would love to see it. Maybe pre-game optional?

• munkbusinessmunkbusiness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hospitals are already one of the most important buildings except for inn. The idea is fine, but balancing should be considered, warriors are allready inactive and risk to die from lack of hospitals, conversion might be too powerful as in the heat of the battle the first to get a warrior into the hospital area of the opponent will win the whole game from just that.

i know there are people that don't like fruit-conversions at all. at the time of my last post this didn't have 70 votes but as it really looks like a good idea ... i'll set it to accept now.

• KokolihapihviKokolihapihvi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder why this idea isn't even accepted since it really fits glob2 as Giszmo said....

It does make games shorter because the usually the player who is losing has lots of wounded units wandering around and all the hospitals have been blown up. That's a good thing, in my opinion. Why prolong a game which has been won/lost a long time ago?

There might also be a possibility for new wacky strategies like building lots of hospitals and towers and hoping to convert the attacking enemy forces. :)

• myxiplxmyxiplx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about:
        - At 10% health, units look for a hospital
        - Under 10% health, units slowly die off as they move
        - If there are no friendly hospitals in reach, units will look for enemy ones. If there is one, they convert and head over.
        - One space in the hospital gets 'reserved' the second the unit converts, and if the unit never makes it, stays reserved for a short while after the unit dies.

Hmm.. thinking about it, this could be tricky to implement. Converting in the middle of a battle could have the unit killed by its own side, which gives you the negative of conversion, but without taking up any space in the hospitals. That would make them a bit too powerful I think.

Also, how about putting a distance limit on this (after all, there's only so far you can walk while wounded)?

Superb, logical, and potentially incredibly evil idea. I love it :-)

As an addendum, if you're going to have multiple conversion methods, the 'unit has converted' message could do with saying how it was converted to give us a fighting chance to know what's happening.

this would so much fit into the concept of glob2. i wonder how i could never have seen that before. thanx alot. i am also for this.
        as many don't like conversion at all i doubt that people will strongly support this, but i love it ;) (i will see where i can free one point to support this)

Feedback and Knowledge Base